Passover 2018/5778 Kashrus Alerts
Alerts from the ORB
April 5, 2018
- Post-Pesach Chometz. All Jewish-owned ORB facilities sold their chometz through the ORB, and consumers may purchase from them without any
concerns. Additionally, we are unaware of any issues purchasing chometz from any of the franchise grocery stores, such as Walmart, Publix, Winn Dixie, Target, and Aldi.
- Eruv Tavshilin. Remember to make an eruv tavshilin before yom tov begins so that you can prepare for Shabbos. The procedure can befound in any siddur or on our Facebook page.
April 4, 2018
- Pesach Wind-Down. Please be careful when shopping for the last days of yom tov. All grocery stores move their remaining products around, and
kitniyos items are very likely to be mixed in with other Pesach products.
March 30, 2018 (erev Pesach)
- Thank You To Our Mashgichim. As we start winding down our preparations for Shabbos and especially Yom Tov, the rabbis of the ORB extend our most
heartfelt thanks to the scores of mashgichim who have been working tirelessly for endless hours these past few weeks. They are the backbone of strong kashrus in South Florida, and their Avodas
HaShem goes well-noted. May each mashgiach and his/her family have a relaxing Shabbos and a meaningful Pesach. May we all merit the Geulah Shelayma in the very near future.
March 28, 2018
- Chometz after Pesach. To the best of our knowledge, French breads, baguettes, and other products containing chometz from Patisserie de France, which
distributes in South Florida, have NOT been sold before Pesach in a manner that is satisfactory to theORB. Therefore, products containing chometz from this company may
NOT be purchased after Pesach for at least 30 days (until Monday, May 7, 2018) or until further notice. They may not be served or sold in any ORB
- Gefen Pitted Manzanilla Olives with a "use by" date of November 22, 2019, states on the label in Hebrew that it is kosher for Passover but in English
that it is NOT kosher for Passover. The Hebrew wording is incorrect; the product is NOT kosher for Passover.
- Knorr poultry sauces and gravies from Israel. Some bear the hechsher of the Chug Chasam Sofer Kosher for Passover. Some do not.
- Prigat Fruit Beverage from Israel. The Lemon Mint flavor is certified by the OK as kosher for Passover. The Banana Strawberry is certified by a
non-recommended agency and should not be purchased.
- Tnuva dairy products are identified as kosher for Passover in at least three different ways, all of which are acceptable, because all three
hechsherim are recommended (OU, Rav Weitman Mehadrin, and Chug Chasam Sofer).
- Coca Cola Zero in black 330 ml cans - from Israel - are NOT kosher for Passover. The distributor of this producgt has apologized for the error,
and the stores are being alerted to remove the product.
- Peeled garlic bearing an OU and not from China may be used without an additional KFP designation. Garland brand peeled garlic bearing an ORB
symbol may be used without an additional KFP designation.
- Fit Fruit and Vegetable Wash is kitniyos-based but may be used as long as it is rinsed off very carefully afterwards.
March 21, 2018
- Kashering Keylim in Boca. The ORB will be supervising keylim kashering in Boca at the JCC from 9:00 - noon on Sunday, March 25. Your
metal pots and pans must be completely clean (looking like new). Frying pans require a full burn-out with a blow torch or charcoal; we may not be in a position to do that on Sunday.
March 19, 2018
- Meat Update:
- Solomon's ground beef is acceptable for Pesach without KFP designation only in 1 lb square blocks or 5 lb clear vacuum pack (institutional
size). Note: 2 lb and 10 lb packed in white sleeve requires KFP.
- Teva ground beef is acceptable for Pesach without KFP designation.
- Fish Update:
- (from the OU) Kirkland Frozen Wild Salmon and Kirkland Frozen Tilapia bearing an OU are acceptable without additional KFP
designation but should be rinsed under cold water (not into a KFP sink) first
- (from the OU) Kirkland Atlantic (Farm Raised) Salmon bearing an OU is acceptable without KFP designation (no rinsing required)
- (from the Star-K) All frozen raw fish requires KFP. B'dieved (if already purchased), rinse well before Pesach in non-KFP sink
- (from the Kof-K) Member's Mark / C.Wirthy & Co Atlantic Salmon Frozen Fillets (raw), product of Chile only, are acceptable when bearing the Kof-K
without KFP designation
- (from the Kof-K) Fisher's Brand Frozen Whiting Fillets (plain, unseasoned) bearing a Kof-K, product of Chile only, are acceptabe when bearing
the Kof-K without KFP designation
- (from the cRc) fresh fish is acceptable without KFP but should be rinsed well in cold water (not in a KFP sink)
- Trader Joe's Products Certified by Kosher-Check (Vancouver)
- These items, when bearing the hechsher of Kosher-Check (formerly BCK) are acceptable without KFP designation:
- unsweetened coconut chips
- unsweetened coconut flakes
- coconut flour
- triple filtered coconut oil
- extra virgin coconut oil
- reducted fat coconut milk
- regular coconut milk
- coconut cream
- (from the OU) Virgin Coconut Oil (unrefined, cold-pressed bearing an OU is acceptable without KFP designation
- (from the OU) Virgin Avocado Oil manufactured by Chosen Foods and bearing an OU is acceptable without KFP designation
- (from the Kof-K) Streit's Dark Chocolate Caramel Pecan Clusters contains milk and butter and was mistakenly labeled as Kof-K pareve. This
product is certified Kof-K-Dairy for Passover. Correcctive action has been taken.
- (from the COR) Elite Chocolates are recommended only when bearing the certification of the OU or the Badatz Eida HaCharedis of Jerusalem.
Requires KFP designation.
- (from the COR) Schmerling's sugarless and no sugar added chocolates are NOT KFP and state so on their label.
March 18, 2018
- If you have additional questions beyond what you find in our Pesach pages, please use our "Contact Us" tab above or visit us on Facebook @orbkosher.
March 16, 2018
- Baruch Dayan HaEmes (another R"L). With great sorrow we must announce the passing of Chaim Weiss' mother A"H. Chaim has been a
mashgiach with the ORB for many years. The levaya will take place Sunday, arch 18 in Houston TX. Shiva details will follow. Chaim can be reached on his cell phone at
832-7166-6480. HaMakom y'acheym eschem b'soch sh'ar aveilei Tziyon v'Yerushalayim.
March 16, 2018
- Baruch Dayan HaEmes. It is with great sorrow that we must announce the passing of Julius Dorfman A"H, husband of long-time mashgicha
Sylvia Dorfman (shetichye). The levaya is today (Friday, March 16 in Washington DC). Shiva will be observed through Thursday morning in Silver Springs,Maryland. Sylvia
can be reached on her cell phone at 561-483-1739. HaMakom y'nacheym eschem b'soch sha'ar aveilei Tziyon v'Yerushalayim.
March 4, 2018
The following programs are NO LONGER SUPERVISED by the ORB:
- A Different Pesach Program
- Orlando Villa Program
- Windsor Palms & Windsor at Westside
- Nitzan Productions
- Radisson Hotel Baltimore Downtown Inner Harbor
- Pesach in Vallarta
- Grand Fiesta Americana, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
--------------------------------previous year's alerts------------------------------------------previous year's alerts------------------------------------------------------
April 21, 2017
- Updated Target Groceries Information. Upon
further research and investigation, the ORB has determined that it is acceptable to purchase chametz gamur from Target stores in Southeast Florida at this time.
April 19, 2017
Post-Pesach Update Regarding Target Supermarkets
There seems to be a question as to whether or not one may purchase chometz gamur at Target. In the Baltimore area, one of the primary
distributors is Jewish-owned and did not sell its chometz. However, it is unclear if that is the case in the South Florida area. It appears that one may purchase chometz gamur from any
other chain store locally; therefore, one who wishes to be machmir should refrain from shopping at Target for four weeks, until it is likely that all chometz being sold was manufactured after
"Here ... is [a summary of the OU article] in a nutshell:
• The sale of chametz in Jewish-owned stores that operate fully on Pesach (i.e., chametz is sold in the store) is a matter of dispute.
• Even for those who assume the sale is valid, it is questionable whether the sale is effective for chametz that is acquired during
• Ask your rabbi to determine which supermarkets are Jewish owned or are supplied by Jewish distributors, and how long after Pesach you must wait to
purchase chametz sold in these stores.
"How about a nice simple closing thought?
"I once learned a great lesson. I accidentally drove into an exit lane and was forced to leave the highway prematurely. This put me on a new road,
which did not have an exit for over forty miles. It took me more than an hour to turn around and get back on the original highway. The lesson here is that one wrong turn in life can have long-term
"Perhaps chametz sheavar alav haPesach teaches the same idea. If one does not handle chametz properly before Pesach, the prohibition against eating
chametz will linger long after Pesach is over.
"Dealing with chametz sheavar alav haPesach in our modern world is not a simple matter. This rabbinic injunction underscores the importance of doing
things correctly up front so that we are not haunted by complications in the future."
Rabbi Luban is an Executive Rabbinic Coordinator for OU Kosher and has been serving as Rabbi of Congregation Ohr Torah in Edison, New Jersey since
Again, the ORB can neither confirm nor deny that chometz in the Target stores in the South Florida area was supplied by Jewish-owned distributors who
did not sell their chometz. Therefore, please consult with your local Orthodox rabbi to determine your course of action.
April 18, 2017
Post-Pesach Information. Shavua Tov/Gut Voch. The ORB is pleased to announce that one may purchase chametz
any ORB establishment. All ORB facilities either sold their chametz or are non-Jewish owned.
To the best of our knowledge, all secular grocery stos, such as BJs, Cotco, CVS, K-Mart, Publix, Target,
Walmart, Whole Foods, and Winn Dixie are non-Jewish and corporate owned and therefore exempt from needing to sell their
Many liquor distributors are Jewish and often do not sell their chametz. Therefore, it is recommended to refrain
purchasing liquor for a few weeks after Pesach to insure that you are not buying product that may have existed during Pesach.
April 10, 2017
To All Our Mashgichim: Thank you for all your hard work n preparing southeast Florida for Pesach.
Whether or not your
facility went KFP, you've played an important part in makin a smooth transition into Pesach.
We also acknowledgethose of you who will spend yom tov in one of our eldercare fcilities. Thank you or sharing
with others in such a special way.
The Rabbonim and staff of the ORB wish each of you a Chag kasher v'sameach. May each of you be zoche to
beracha and continue to be matzliach in your avodas haKodesh.
To The Community: The Rabbonim, staff, and mashgichim of the ORB wish the entire community a Chag
v'sameach. May the tefilos of our sedarim reach the Ribbono shel Olam, and may He grant our wish that next year we
join together in Yerushalayim in the Bais HaMikdashHaB'nuyah.
----Previous Years' Alerts--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 1, 2016
- Thank you Mashgichim. The ORB expresses its hakaras hatov to the many mashgichim who worked tirelessly for the weeks before and then during Pesach to
insure a chag kasher v'samech. Many men and women spent countless hours preparing and supervising grocery stores, eldercare facilities restaurants, caterers, and hotels. To each of them we say
'thank you' an hope that their mesiras nefesh will bring them and all of klal yisroel great zechusim.
- Chometz Purchasing. All ORB establishments that needed to sell their chometz did so. Consumers may buy from them with confidence.
April 28, 2016
- Erev Yontiff. Remember to make an Eruv Tavshilin this afternoon. The procedure and the beracha can be found in any siddur.
April 13, 2016
- Hashahar Ha'Ole Special Cocoa Spread from Israel. The pareve variety is kosher for Passover and bears an OU-P symbol. The dairy variety
is NOT kosher for Passover, NOT cholov Yisroel, and bears an OU-D designation.
- Lieber's Whole Purple Plums in heavy syrup, 30 oz cans, is NOT kosher for Passover despite the markings on the label.
- Acetum Balsamic Vinegar is acceptable when bearing only a Star-K designation.
April 6, 2016
- Kariot Cereal from Israel was mistakenly identified on the OU's on-line list as kosher for Passover. It is was last year but is not this
year. The OU list has been corrected.
- Kashering for the community will take place Sunday, April 10, 9:00-12:00 noon at Adolf and Rose Levis JCC kitchen, 9801 Donna Klein Blvd. Items to be
kashered must be clean.
----------- Alerts from 2014
April 23, 2014
- Regarding chometz she'avar alav haPesach, please be aare that all ORB-certified, Jewish-owned establishments sold their chometz before Pesach. Therefore,
it is acceptable to purchase from them immediately after Passover.
- To the best of our knowledge, all Jewish-owned vendors and distributors that service ORB-supervised establishments sold therii chometz before Pesach. This
also applies to all Miami-area liquor distributors.
April 3, 2013
- Regarding chometz she'avar alav haPesach, please be aware that all ORB-certified, Jewish-owned establishments sold their chometz before Pesach. Therefore,
it is acceptable to purchase from them immediately.
- To the best of our knowledge, all Jewish-owned vendors and distributors that service ORB-supervised establishments sold their chometz before Pesach. This
also applies to all Miami-area liquor distributors.
March 21, 2013
- Please be vigilant when purchasing Passover products. Many labels look very similar to year-round labels. Also, when products bear multiple
hechsherim, it is often difficult to ascertain which kosher supervisory agency certifies the product for Passover.
- Prigat Strawberry Banana Juice (regular), Pineapple Juice (regular) and Grapefruit Juice(diet) are under Rabbanut supervision. We do not
recommend these products. All other Prigat products will bear an OK-P and are recommended.
- Some Agri-Star Shor Habor hot dogs without a kosher for Passover label have been found in local stores. These items should not be
- The Star-K advises that Chasalat Alei Katif Romaine Lettuce from Israel has been found to contain thrips. This product shoud be washed and
checked like any other lettuce.
- Quinoa is kosher for Passover. It is not related to the chameishes minei dagan-five types of grain products, nor to millet or rice. Quinoa is a member
of the "goose foot" family, which includes sugar beets and beet root. The Star-K tested quinoa to see if it would rise. The result was as Chazal termed, sirchon; the quinoa decayed -
it did not rise. However, recent investigations have found that there is a possibility that quinoa grows in proximity to certain grains and processed in facilities that compromise quinoa kosher for
Passover status. Therefore, quinoa should only be accepted with reliable kosher for Passover supervision.
- Dole Raisins are acceptable without additional hechsher.
- Dixie Crystal Light Brown Sugar is acceptable for Passover when bearing a "P".
- Domino Brown Sugar with a "P" is acceptable for Passover.
- Coconut OIl by Spectrum Extra Virgin Unrefined is acceptable for Passover.
- Pumpkin seeds are NOT kitniyos
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil does not require a hechsher
===========================begin Passover 2013 Alerts======================
April 19, 2012
Chometz Alert (updated):
- Sweet Endings Bakery. The ORB has been unable to ascertain whether or not this company sold its chometz. Most of their product is sold fresh, but a
small amount is frozen and can last 3-4 months. Any product with a date code of 04/15/12 or after will be free from concerns of chometz she'avar alav haPesach. (If there is any new
information regarding this bakery's status, we will post it on our website.)
April 15, 2012
Please see our regular year-round Alerts page for additional non-Passover information.
- All Jewish-owned facilities under the supervision of the ORB sold their chometz. See note below regarding Sweet Endings Bakery.
- Neither Publix nor Winn Dixie are Jewish-owned corporations. As such, there was no need to effect a chometz sale from either.
- Liquor. There are some Jewish-owned liquor distributors who service Southeastern Florida. The ORB is investigating as to whether or not they sold
their chometz. We will B"N post information on our website by Tuesday or Wednesday.
- Sweet Endings Bakery. The ORB is investigating if this facility sold its chometz through an agency other than the ORB. The ORB will post
updated information as soon as it is available.
April 9, 2012
- Chometzdik International Glatt Meat Kishke Logs (1 pound) have been found packed with kosher l'Pesach kishke in the same case. Consumers
are urged to check every package for appropriate labels.
- The following Passover alert is from the Rabbi Mayer Kurcfeld of the Star-K on April 9, 2012.